Reiterlesmarkt: Rothenburg ob der Tauber














Let me begin by saying, Germany during the holidays makes my heart soar. The holidays here are so much different from The States, and I definitely don't mean that in a bad way. There is just a connect with Christmas I've never experienced anywhere else, but here. Everything is bright, people are joyful, happy, bouncing around - talking to friends and drinking hot gluhwein. It's very romantic.

Rothenburg ob der Tauber, where do I even start?! Most of the action is within the town center where the Rathaus (Town Hall) is. The streets were filled with people, all smiling and making their way to the market vendors. To our surprise it was snowing a bit which made the mood more fun and romantic as my husband and I haven't really been many places since having the baby and her constantly having appointments for her clubfeet. Now, her appointments are coming to an end of her casts we can venture out more and fully spread our wings across Europe! The snow, the smell of waffles, bartwursts, pommes frites, and shops making the local treat, schneeballen (snowballs). They are out of this world and come in many flavors. The shop that we went to offered over 25 flavors and of course we chose all the ones with fillings: gingerbread, eggnog, apple cinnamon sugar, vanilla, caramel, strawberry, nougat, and just original with dusted in powder sugar! If you find yourself roaming these breath-taking streets, do not miss the chance to get a box, or two.

Now, my personal favorite part of the markets is gluhwein, food and homemade crafts. I scored apple gluhwein from a vendor who also sold some very, very tasty apple chips and treats. I spotted spiked eggnog similar to gluhwein but since I'm not an eggnog fan, I did not try it. My husband wouldn't be my taste tester.

My favorite place while we were in Rothenburg definitely was Kathe Wohlfahrt store. We got so many goodies to go on our tree. Our goal is to collect ornament from every Christmas Market we go to while we are here.  We've only hit 2 Markets this year (hoping for 3 next weekend) but next year our goal is to hit at least 6-8! While we are talking about places, the Rathaus has a watch tower that you can climb up to. The stairs will make you a bit dizzy but once you get pass that, you will find yourself in a creepy-like something out of a horror film room. The climb is then up wooden stairs that get more and more narrow as you go. My fear of heights kicked in right when we made it to the very top to stand on to see the view from the tower. I looked over and quickly went back down. My husband and Sicily stayed and enjoyed the view....Hey! At least I can say, I kinda did it. Haha. It's totally worth the go see.

After much research, we ended up booking through Booking.com to stay at Hotel Roterhahn, and I must say, I was NOT disappointed and I will gladly be staying there again when we come back. Not only was the room nice, comfortable and very clean; the service was out of this world. The owner was extremely helpful, nice and accommodated us because of the baby. Every time we came to eat, we got a booth so we could lay down the baby once she fell asleep and enjoy our meal. Oh, speaking of meal, they aren't only good for a nice, cozy place to stay - their restaurant is out of this phenomenal! I can't say it enough, and I'll repeat: phenomenal! The food was tender, juicy and exploding with flavor. Don't even get me started on the desserts.

All in all, Rothenburg is my favorite Christmas Market we've been to so far. It out beat the chocolate festival, even though that was something special in itself and deserves it's own post. Lets see if we can hit up one last Christmas Market and see which one takes my heart away for 2013.

How did you spend your Christmas? Start any new traditions? Happy Holidays!!

No comments:

Post a Comment