Rome - Part 2

Now, that we've went over the Roma Pass, you all should know how we made it to the Vatican + Coliseum and everywhere else. Train. It is super easy to ride the metro. Now, the Roma pass does not cover your ticket for the Vatican as it's pretty much considered it's own 'State' I'd guess, so you'll need to go online and get advance tickets or you could go with a tour for 50 euro. I don't recommend this and I'll tell you why in a moment. Here is a fun fact: things are super expensive in Rome because they pay 75% tax to the Vatican. Can you say, W O W?! (So the tour guide said anyway)

We viewed many churches while we wandered around Rome, but none took my breath away as much as going through The Vatican Museum, Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's Basilica! Now, we did not reserve tickets ahead of time as I had set up a tour through the host of our beautiful studio. I will not recommend the tour. It was about 50 euro, and it was packed with over 30+ other people, not terrible, but the tour guide talked too fast, didn't stop much to explain what was what, didn't give us enough time to look for ourselves and read things and on top of carrying a 20lb baby, that was a huge no! So, me being the rebel I am, I pretty much just ditched her and spent the time I needed reading things, and taking them truly in. It was absolutely beautiful and worth it, I regret nothing haha. The Sistine Chapel is a definite must see, though it's so crowded, I think it took away from the experience for me a bit. The paintings literally looked as if they were going to pop off the wall. Here comes an unpopular opinion: I don't think it's all it's cracked up to be, I honestly thought St. Peter's took the win and dashed away. St. Peter's almost brought tears to my eyes. It was beautiful, the way the light hit everything, seriously could have brought me to my knees...I even got to touch Holy Water! (No, Mom, I didn't burn ha, ha --inside joke--) I highly recommend not passing these up! 

We also hit the Palatine Hill, Roman Forum, and many more (I have those photos, it wasn't awe inspiring to me, though the history is very interesting and still worth seeing! I did a romantic photoshoot for my friends there instead of take any actual pictures. Sorry!)

For all the foodies out there, I found so many shops that had truffle oil, delicious olive oil, cheese spreads and sets, chocolate spreads, teas, honey, limecello, pasta noodles ranging from flavored to different flours and the works. Lets say, we almost went over our weight limit for Ryanair because of all the goodies I decided to try to bring back. All in all, I'd do Rome again. Even after 6 wonderful days, there was still a lot I wanted to see! If you do visit, please just go explore! Get lost with a map, find their shopping district (which was awesome and had a MAC store, H&M along with much, much more awesome shopping) and just roam! You'll find many hidden gems, I promise, you won't regret it even with hurt ankles later.  I'm done rambling, now enjoy these photos!














7 comments:

  1. Ah your post made me reminisce about my visit to Italy!
    You're absolutely right, St. Peter's is magnificent and is definitely worth a visit. Same with the Sistine chapel, even though it is a pretty crowded space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to go back to Italy! They just don't make churches like that anymore!

      Delete
  2. Well I'm convinced I now need a trip to Rome. I have always wanted to visit because of all the art, buildings and mostly because of the food. But 75% taxes, what? I guess we have it good then! I hate when tour guides rush you along cause I need time to soak things in. Looks like you had an amazing trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was blown away when I heard that is the tax they pay to the Vatican! Apparently they also have their own shopping, food, living quarters so it's like it's own country/state in a way. The trip was amazing! I'm definitely headed back to Italy, thank you for reading and commenting!

      Delete